Sandy L. Morris, a Partner, represents corporate and individual clients in a wide variety of business litigation, including contractual disputes and claims of defamation, tortious interference, unfair competition, and legal malpractice. Ms. Morris has particular expertise representing employers in connection with discrimination and retaliation claims, purported class actions involving alleged overtime, minimum wage, and prevailing wage violations, and the enforcement of restrictive covenants. She has successfully briefed and argued cases before both the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals and the Illinois Appellate Court.
She also represents employers in administrative proceedings before the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and state human rights and equal employment opportunity agencies. Ms. Morris counsels employers regarding employee handbooks, policies, and risk management and offers customized training to clients on a variety of topics, including compliance with the FLSA, Title VII, the ADA, and FMLA.
In addition, Ms. Morris advises public utilities regarding their rights and obligations under their tariffs on file with the Illinois Commerce Commission and franchise agreements with local municipalities. She also represents public utilities in customer complaint proceedings before the ICC.
Ms. Morris graduated from Syracuse University (B.A., cum laude, 1995), and the University of Chicago Law School (J.D., 1999). While in law school, Ms. Morris volunteered with the school's Mandel Legal Aid Clinic and served on the Clinic’s Board.
Ms. Morris is active in pro bono and legal aid organizations. She is currently on the board of Illinois Legal Aid Online (ILAO), an organization that uses technology to lower barriers to the law so that people can, on their own, understand their legal options, make informed decisions, and, when necessary, represent themselves in court. Ms. Morris also serves on the Advisory Board of Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (CVLS) and has actively volunteered for the organization for most of her legal career.
She is also a member of the Labor & Employment Practice Area Committee of the National Association of Women and Minority Owned Law Firms (NAMWOLF).
- Allen, et al. v. YRC Worldwide Inc., et al., 2015 IL App (1st) 143053-U (affirming dismissal of putative class plaintiffs’ diminished property value claim and medical monitoring claim against international environmental consulting firm arising out of alleged ground water contamination).
- Clutch Auto Ltd. v. Navistar, Inc., No. 12 C 9564, 2015 WL 1299281 (N.D. Ill. Mar. 19, 2015) (granting summary judgment in favor of a manufacturer in a $20M breach of contract dispute with a former supplier).
- Crestoni v. Zipcar, Inc., No. 14 CH 11845 (Cook County Circuit Court February 5, 2015) (granting motion to dismiss putative class action based on contractual forum selection clause).
- Commonwealth Edison Co. v. Munizzo, 2013 IL App (3d) 120153 (affirming dismissal of consumer fraud claim and denial of motion for sanctions).
- Good v. University of Chicago Medical Center, 673 F.3d 670 (7th Cir. 2012) (affirming summary judgment in favor of employer on reverse race discrimination claim).
- Davis v. Staff Management, No. 4:11CV888 CDP, 2011 WL 4857909 (E.D. Mo. Oct. 13, 2011) (granting motion to dismiss Title VII claims for failure to state a claim and failure to exhaust administrative remedies and dismissing Missouri Human Rights Act claim as untimely).
- Petroleum Traders Corp. v. Baltimore County, Maryland, 413 Fed. Appx. 588 (4th Cir. 2011) (affirming judgment of trial court that county was estopped from denying enforceability of fuel requirements contract).
- Petrakopoulou v. DHR International, Inc., 660 F.Supp.2d 935 (N.D. Ill. 2009) (holding that plaintiff's claims of fraudulent misrepresentation and unjust enrichment were well-pled).
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois (Trial Bar)
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Indiana
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
Memberships, Civic and Charitable
- Illinois Legal Aid Online (Board Member 2015-present)
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services (Advisory Board Member 2016-present; Strategic Planning Committee Member 2015-present; Board Member 2009-2015)
- Chicago Bar Association, Alliance for Women (Co-chair 2009-2010; Executive Committee 2007-2016)
- SuperLawyers Rising Star, 2009-2013
- Chicago Volunteer Legal Services Distinguished Services Award, 2007 & 2013
- University of Chicago, J.D. 1999
- Syracuse University, B.A. (cum laude) 1995