Chico & Nunes attorneys have in-depth experience representing clients regarding employment law counseling and traditional labor law litigation. Our attorneys bring decades of experience providing prompt, practical advice and representation to business owners, HR professionals, and executives on any number of complex and emerging employment and labor issues that may impact the work environment. Our attorneys’ legal and industry experience allows them to offer creative, pragmatic solutions to the often complex issues presented by employment disputes. Chico & Nunes attorneys leverage their collective experience to achieve the best possible outcome for our clients, whether in managing high-stakes employment litigation, or ensuring regulatory compliance.
Our success is not only driven by our experience but also by our understanding of our clients’ business operations. This deep understanding of our clients’ business goals allows us to provide legal advice specifically tailored to each client’s unique business model.
In addition to counseling clients on the laws and regulations that govern the employer/employee relationship, our attorneys are also well versed in substantive and procedural law under the National Labor Relations Act. Our attorneys have extensive experience advising and defending clients in venues nationwide regarding traditional labor matters and collective bargaining issues. From unfair labor practice charges to labor contract management and negotiations, our attorneys draw on industry and legal experiences to facilitate the labor-management relationship.
We would welcome the opportunity to discuss with you how we can add value by assisting your business in this critical area.
Employment Litigation and Counseling
Our firm has a wealth of experience representing clients in employment litigation and providing counseling regarding employment compliance issues. The attorneys who practice in this area bring decades of experience in strategizing with clients regarding high-stakes litigation matters and in counseling clients on compliance with the myriad laws and regulations that govern the employer/employee relationship. We offer dynamic counseling that can bring the knowledge of an experienced Human Resource professional to individual clients and provide effective assistance to company management on a number of HR functions.
We have successfully litigated a wide array of employment matters, including:
- Discrimination cases under Title VII and the ADA
- Wage and hour class actions and Department of Labor audits
- Enforcement of non-competition and non-solicitation agreements
- Wrongful termination and retaliation claims
- OSHA citations and enforcement actions
Examples of our prior representations include:
- Successfully represented large company in a difficult race discrimination class action filed by the EEOC
- Obtained dismissal of reverse race discrimination case on behalf of prominent university hospital system
- Successfully represented large financial firm in overtime wage and hour class action, negotiating favorable settlement on behalf of client
- Successfully represented international event firm in race and age discrimination case before state administrative agency
- Obtained summary judgment on behalf of education provider in race discrimination case
We also counsel clients regarding human resources compliance issues, including:
- Disciplinary issues and documenting, preparing for and implementing terminations
- Drafting, negotiating and reviewing employment severance agreements
- Drafting and negotiating non-compete, non-solicitation and confidentiality agreements
- Compliance with wage and hour, affirmative action, workplace safety and health, paid sick leave, as well as other local, state, and federal laws that govern the employment relationship
- Workplace issues, including claims of discrimination, harassment, and retaliation
- Updating and reviewing employee handbooks and other employment documentation, including I-9 verification procedures
- Internal investigations, and wage and hour and EEO audits
Traditional Labor and Labor Relations
Chico & Nunes labor attorneys are well versed in substantive and procedural law under the National Labor Relations Act, with numerous appearances before the National Labor Relations Board (NLRB) and its regional offices in unfair labor practice charges and trials, representation (election) matters, mediations, and arbitrations nationwide. Firm services include counseling companies to avoid unfair labor practices, addressing grievance investigations, handling NLRB inquiries, collective bargaining, defending NLRB complaints (through the appellate levels, if necessary) and providing ongoing advice – both legal and practical – during union organizing and decertification campaigns. Chico & Nunes is also experienced in practical solutions such as pre-campaign employee relations practices. With experience in both industry and legal developments in union and personnel relations, our attorneys can partner with business leadership to work to facilitate the labor and management cooperation necessary to achieve business results and support customers.
Areas of practice:
- Collective bargaining
- Unfair labor practice work, including trials
- Trial work
- Union campaigns/decertification campaigns
- Representation hearings
- NLRB practice
- Positive employee relations/union avoidance
- Site assessments
- HR and corporate leadership training