William R. Klinger focuses his litigation practice in the areas of construction, OSHA-related matters, general business issues and other civil matters, including counseling, regulatory issues, employment issues, and transactions/contracts. In addition, he represents numerous businesses of varying size as outside general counsel, providing practical advice on risk management/mitigation and other legal concerns his clients encounter on a day-to-day basis.
During his career, Mr. Klinger’s clients have included owners, developers, contractors, construction managers, municipalities, utility providers, manufacturers, architects, engineers, retailers, insurers, insurance brokers, and a host of individuals and businesses across other industries. Mr. Klinger prides himself on a practical, forward-thinking and goal-oriented approach that allows his clients to achieve their objectives.
Prior to joining Chico & Nunes, P.C. in October 2019, Mr. Klinger was a partner in a large Chicago-based law firm where he practiced within the construction and commercial litigation groups. In addition to maintaining an active dispute resolution practice, he has also tried numerous jury and bench trials with many successful results.
- Represented architectural client at trial in multi-million-dollar design litigation at the Art Institute of Chicago, securing defense verdict in favor of client.
- Successfully defended contractor client on alleged OSHA violations at trial against U.S. Department of Labor.
- Represented contractor and gas utility at trial in construction negligence case, securing defense verdict in favor of clients.
- Represented architectural client against professional liability and construction defect claims related to seismic design for commercial office building in downstate Illinois.
- Represented multiple clients in judgment enforcement proceedings throughout the State of Illinois.
- Represented dozens of clients in resolution of construction claims, mechanic’s lien actions, breach of contract suits relating to payment disputes, construction delay, and property damage.
- Represented multiple employers in negotiation of employment terms and drafting of employment agreements.
- Successfully litigated multiple insurance coverage lawsuits related to first-party disputes and additional insured status arising from defense and indemnity tenders.
- Routinely advised clients on various OSHA issues, including emergency response, compliance, abatement and appeals.
- Successfully prosecuted and defended multiple appeals in different districts across Illinois.
- Illinois– 2008
- Northern District of Illinois – 2010
- Pro Hac Vice admission in numerous jurisdictions throughout U.S.
Memberships, Organizations and Awards
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Great Lakes Construction Association
- American College of Legal Medicine
- Selected to the Illinois Super Lawyers list of “Rising Stars”: 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019
- J.D., The John Marshall Law School - 2008
- B.S., University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign - 2004