Timothy M. King has over 27 years of legal and government expertise and considerable experience in advocacy and negotiation in providing quality representation to a wide variety of clients. Mr. King focuses his practice on state and local government affairs, land use, zoning, real estate, and strategic counseling. Mr. King joined Chico & Nunes, P.C. in January 2022.
Prior to joining Chico & Nunes, Mr. King served as the General Counsel to the Chicago Park District from 2014 to 2021. In his role as General Counsel, Mr. King operated a full-service Law Department, providing advice and counsel to all departments on matters including contracts, risk management, financial matters, advertising, IT, merchandising, intellectual property, and FOIA/Board management/Open Meetings Act issues. Further, as General Counsel for the Chicago Park District, Mr. King worked on numerous high-profile and complex legal matters, including:
- Led legal strategy paving the way for the land-transfer of eighteen (18) acres of Jackson Park to the City of Chicago for the Obama Presidential Library Center (OPC).
- Strategized and participated in litigation defending the legalities of the OPC transaction at the circuit and appellate court level and quarterbacked victorious outcomes at all levels.
- Chief negotiator and drafter of the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art planned development and associated agreements in anticipation of the museum’s placement at Museum Campus.
- Chief negotiator with the Chicago Bears, a major NFL franchise. Successfully negotiated complex issues including scoreboard expansion and parking relocation matters associated with building the Lucas Museum of Narrative Art on parking lot adjacent to Soldier Field.
- Worked with private stakeholders and sister agencies to develop state of the art community centers, such as the $20 million Pullman Sports Center, $17.5 million Ellis Park Field House, and $12 million Jesse White Field House.
- Negotiated the sale of the 541 N. Fairbanks headquarters resulting in $1 million in profit, a 5% return on investment, four years onsite rent-free, saving significant operating funds and capturing time to strategically plan the Park District’s future office space options.
- Negotiated the purchase and development of the new Park District Headquarters, a $64 million state of the art office and recreation facility in the Brighton Park community.
- Developed an in-house concession inspection program sending licensed personnel into food vendors’ premises to safeguard patrons from foodborne illness.
- Chief negotiator and drafter of the revised and amended Lollapalooza agreement ($30M+) extending the partnership through 2021 with C3 Presents.
- Chief negotiator and drafter of the ten (10) year permit and operating agreement for Northerly Island with Live Nation, Inc.
Prior to becoming General Counsel, Mr. King was First Deputy General Counsel/Director of Legislative and Community Affairs at the Chicago Park District and, before that, acted as senior counsel for real estate and land use. He has advised three Chicago mayors, several boards, and numerous elected and appointed officials throughout his career.
Mr. King has successfully negotiated complex partnerships, Tax Increment Financing agreements, purchases, and sales. Through his representation, Mr. King assists his clients in developing state of the art community centers, offices and recreation facilities. Mr. King’s ability to deliver sound, innovative legal and business solutions also allowed him to oversee successful labor negotiations regarding pension law and revamp workers compensation policies.
Additionally, Mr. King has extensive management experience over litigation matters in workers compensation, personal injury and labor relations and employment. He has extensive experience preparing witnesses, keeping affected parties informed and developing evidence and strategies for trial. Mr. King is a passionate advocate for his clients and is proficient in presenting legal, business, and legislative matters before various courts, administrative and governing bodies and preparing clients for trials and hearings.
Memberships, Civic and Charitable
- Chicago Bar Association
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Crain’s Chicago Business 2019 Notable General Counsels
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D.
- Loyola University of Chicago