Robert S. Markin has been advising clients in connection with complex litigation, regulatory and government affairs issues, and procurement matters for over 30 years. His clients have included large utilities, major accounting firms, market leaders in the airline, transportation, technology, environmental services, healthcare, education services, and manufacturing industries, a wide array of developers, and several architectural, engineering, contracting and consulting firms. Mr. Markin also provides strategic counseling and advocacy to clients in multiple business sectors.
Business and Regulatory Litigation - Mr. Markin has represented clients in hundreds of litigation matters, including class actions, employment disputes, complicated contract and business tort disputes, construction claims, and real estate and land use disputes. He has tried cases in Illinois, Indiana and Florida, has briefed and argued several federal and state court appeals, and has represented clients in dozens of arbitrations and mediations.
Government and Regulatory - Mr. Markin's wide-ranging regulatory and government affairs practice has involved interactions with legislative, administrative, and regulatory bodies in Chicago, Cook County, Illinois and on the federal level on behalf of a wide array of businesses. In the past several years, Mr. Markin has represented several clients in connection with administrative investigations by a wide variety of federal, state, and local government agencies.
Strategic Business Counseling - Mr. Markin is actively involved in the Firm's business counseling and advocacy practice. He provides strategic advice to clients regarding growth strategies and public and private sector relationship building.
Procurement and M/W/DBE - Mr. Markin has represented developers, architects, engineers, contractors, consulting firms and other clients in bid preparation, contract negotiations, bid protests, and procurement related litigation. He has extensive experience counseling clients on M/W/DBE compliance issues.
Beginning in 1995, Mr. Markin served as General Counsel and Chief of Staff for the Chicago Board of Education. At the Board, Mr. Markin oversaw all legal affairs of the school system, and as Chief of Staff was the principal liaison between the Board and senior management of the nation's third largest school system.
Litigation Representative Matters
- Represented national environmental services firm in purported class actions arising out of alleged contamination
- Represented national rental car company in purported class actions alleging improper taxation and billing practices
- Represented electric and gas utilities in purported class action cases in Illinois circuit courts
- Defended national health care insurer in class action alleging overcharges
- Represented international conglomerate in multiple class actions arising out of allegedly tainted food products
Complicated Contract Disputes
- Represented publicly traded vehicle manufacturer in disputes involving contracts with professional service providers and component manufacturers
- Represented energy services company in defending against alleged breach of professional services contract
- Represented international accounting firm in civil suits and arbitrations arising out of tax advice
- Lead counsel for major telecommunications carrier in action arising out of purchase of network integration company
- Represented major airline in arbitration involving breach of agreement to design baggage handling system
Employment Related Disputes
- Represented multiple employers in non-compete, trademark, and trade secrets disputes
- Represented medical center in employment litigation
- Represented Community College District in employment litigation
Real Estate and Land Use Disputes
- Counsel for a city in landmark case raising constitutional challenges to the city's historic district designation
- Lead counsel for a major hotel developer in a multimillion dollar action involving breach of annexation/incentives agreement
- Lead counsel for townhome developer in dispute involving $40 million development
Government and Regulatory Representative Matters
- Represented major rental car company in federal, state and local legislative, regulatory and government relations issues
- Represented multiple clients in state and local licensing issues
- Provided strategic advice and counseling to utility companies on state and local government relations issues
- Represented Fortune 500 companies, construction contractors, professional service providers and institutions of higher education in connection with investigations by various federal, state, and local government agencies
- Represented architects, engineers and contractors in regulatory and government affairs issues
- Represented developers in negotiation of Redevelopment Agreements for downtown Chicago projects and related compliance
- Represented major airline in legislative drafting, government contract negotiation and government relations counseling
Strategic Business Counseling Representative Matters
- Provided advice to leading technology companies, airlines, utilities, architects, engineering firms, contractors, subcontractors and other private sector clients regarding business opportunities, potential business partners, and growth strategies.
- Assisted multiple M/W/DBEs in growing their relationships and expanding their business base in a variety of sectors
Procurement and M/W/DBE Representative Matters
- Represented multiple consultants, contractors and professional service firms in bid preparation and negotiation of government contracts
- Represented general contractors in bid protests
- Counseled multiple vendors, contractors, and professional service providers in connection with M/W/DBE compliance issues
- Represented clients in prosecuting and resolving construction claims
Memberships, Civic and Charitable
- Mr. Markin currently serves as Chairman of the Board of Directors, of the Sinai Health System
- J.D. Georgetown University Law Center (magna cum laude) 1984
- B.A. Brown University 1981
- Designated as Leading Lawyer in Commercial Litigation