Marcus Nunes concentrates his practice in land use and real estate, corporate transactions, finance, government regulation, and general litigation as a partner in the law firm of Chico & Nunes, P.C.
A graduate of Northwestern University School of Law and a lawyer since 1984, Mr. Nunes has handled a broad range of complex commercial, financial, regulatory and tort issues for his clients. He has an excellent reputation for dispute resolution in the area of contract claims, procurement, business transactions, construction liability, public transportation liability and state and local taxation. He has successfully tried numerous cases to verdict and handled appeals in state and federal court. He has counseled various parties in negotiating redevelopment agreements for land development projects (which included tax increment finance, zoning and other municipal benefits) involving numerous developers and businesses.
Mr. Nunes adds many years in government to his legal experience, including his service as Assistant to Chicago Mayor Richard M. Daley. He also served as First Deputy Commissioner of the Chicago Department of Buildings where his responsibilities included the oversight and management of legal matters relating to real estate, construction and building design.
Mr. Nunes also served as Senior Counsel to the Chicago Board of Education, and was a key part of its nationally recognized turnaround improvement success. Mr. Nunes is an arbitrator for the American Arbitration Association and has served with Chicago Volunteer Legal Services. He also contributes time to the Evans Scholars Foundation, Notre Dame High School and serves as a judge for the Northwestern University School of Law Miner Moot Court competition.
His legal experience, government service and involvement with young people has enabled him to establish positive working relationships with numerous groups, government agencies and the business community.
- Assisted in purchase, financing and land use entitlements for the development of four Charter schools at two sites.
- Represented one of the nation's largest utility companies in various matters including lease negotiations, zoning and building approval for the development of a new 30-acre center in Metropolitan Chicago.
- Represented one of the nation's largest Spanish language radio companies in the development of its local facilities.
- Served as co-underwriter's counsel in the issuance of $1.5 billion of municipal bonds for the expansion of O'Hare International Airport.
Memberships, Civic and Charitable
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Chicago Bar Association
- National Association of Bond Lawyers
- Director, Evans Scholars Foundation
- Director, Victory Gardens Theater
- J.D., Northwestern University School of Law 1984
- B.A., Northwestern University 1981