James (“JR”) Glenn concentrates his practice in business and commercial law, with a specific emphasis in Labor and Employment. He has a decade of experience as an attorney providing advice and counseling to, and litigating on behalf of, domestic and international clients of various sizes. He also holds a master’s degree in human resource and industrial labor relations. JR worked as Human Resources and Labor Relations Manager for General Electric after graduating from its esteemed training program. Prior to joining Chico & Nunes, he was “of counsel” at Chambliss, Bahner & Stophel in Chattanooga, Tennessee and previously clerked for Chief Administrative Law Judge Mary Cracraft and Chief Administrative Law Judge Gerald Etchingham of the San Francisco Division of Judges of the National Labor Relations Board.
His unique combination of practical and legal experience allows him to provide timely and pragmatic solutions to the various human resource and labor situations business owners and operators frequently encounter. These include wrongful discharge and termination matters, employment agreements, restrictive covenant and trade secret enforcement, workplace counseling, training, and investigations and wage and hour compliance, audits, and investigations. In addition, he assists clients with OSHA compliance and citation defense; local, state, and federal law compliance; collective bargaining and union contract management and negotiation and related labor contract disputes. He has represented clients in state and federal courts and before administrative agencies such as the EEOC, the Department of Labor, the National Labor Relations Board, the Occupational Health and Safety Commission, and various state Workers' Compensation Commissions.
JR Glenn earned his master’s degree in Human Resources and Industrial Labor Relations, as well as his J.D., from the University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign. He holds a certificate in mediation practice from Northwestern University. He also holds a commercial pilot’s license with instrument and multi-engine endorsements.
State and Federal Court Admissions
- Texas, District of Columbia, Illinois, Tennessee, and Michigan
- Federal - Northern District of Illinois, Trial Bar
- Federal - Southern District of Illinois
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals - Seventh Circuit
- Federal - U.S. Court of Appeals - Federal Circuit
Membership, Organizations, and Awards
- Lincoln University, Trustee
- Boy Scouts of America, Eagle Scout
- Alhambra Shrine, member of the Highlander Pipes and Drum Unit
- University of Illinois College of Law Journal of Law, Technology, and Policy, Past Editor and Chief
- University of Illinois College of Law, Rickety Award for Excellence in Advocacy
- Illinois Wesleyan University, Phi Beta Kappa, 2005
- University of Illinois, Institute of Labor and Employment Relations, 2006
- University of Illinois, Juris Doctor, 2012
- Northwestern University, Mediation Certificate Program, August 2018